Monday, January 23, 2012

Fresh Tomato Soup Recipe

I started coming down with a yucky head cold and decided to make my own soup remedy.. homemade tomato soup. I've been on a bit of a soup-making kick recently for two reasons: easy leftovers to take to work and quickly digested so I can pound out workouts without getting sick to my stomach. When I get sick, I try to avoid taking in much dairy, if any at all. I also don't like to have a lot of salt in my recipes so chicken soup was out. I searched for a solid tomato soup recipe akin to a yummy tomato basil pasta sauce and found this great one. I adjusted a few things too to liven it up a bit.


Sick Day Tomato Soup
(or any day for that matter)


2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth (I use pacific brand organic free range low sodium)
1 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
1 tablespoon organic tomato paste
2 pounds tomatoes, cut into wedges remove seeds of half the tomatoes
(i use a mix of plum tomatos and on the vine.)
1 garlic clove finely chopped
pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
salt to personal taste
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (I eyeball this to my taste)
thinly sliced fresh basil for topping
(if you want creamy soup stir in 1/2 cup of sour cream at the end)

You will need a blender or food processor


Combine first 8 ingredients in a large pot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes. Place half of tomato mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining tomato mixture. Stir in salt and pepper. Top with fresh sliced basil. (shredded Parmesan is good too)

(originally posted on everythinglo.blogspot.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment